Friday, June 26, 2009

Perl Ironman

This blog is my entry in the Perl Ironman competition. I had been thinking about it for a while, but MST's lightning talk at YAPC NA pushed me over the edge.

So, what to expect from the content? Well, in addition to any good emails or answers I write, I am planning on a journey through Perl 5's standard library. There is a lot of stuff in there that I have never known about or have forgotten. The realization that I need to take this journey came when I wanted to know the current process's parent's PID. I hit Google and was shocked to find that getppid is a core function.

Perl 6 is also likely to come up from time to time as I play with Rakudo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chas,

    I'm excited to see you start a blog! I've been following your answers on the Perl beginner's mailing list and I am looking forward to learning better Perl from you.
    Welcome to the Perl Iron Man.

    ReplyDelete

Some limited HTML markup is allowed by blogger: strong, b, i, and a. You may also use em, but I have repurposed it through the magic of CSS to be behave very much like <tt><code></code></tt>.